Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Fiesta Loaf - A Mexican Inspired Meatloaf Recipe



Messy Messy Fail - I knew I shouldn't have let the boys paint on the kitchen table, sitting on the fabric seat cushion.  

Tidy Victory - Zout to the rescue - I swear that stuff can get ANY stain out.  What do you use for a stain remover?









I know what you are thinking.  FIESTA LOAF?!?!?!?!?!?!  That sounds SOOOOO gross and WEIRD!!!!!!!!!!!

And I don't blame you, it does sound weird.

But I SWEAR it is not and it is SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!

Just ask my husband - he'll eat this without question and his will-not-eat list is much longer than his will-eat list.

Therefore you TOTALLY need to try this recipe.  And then you can judge.  And share your judgment below in the comments.

Here's what you need:

1.5 lbs ground beef (I use venison sometimes too)
3/4 c. dry plain bread crumbs tsp. 
1 large egg
1 c. tomato-based salsa
1 (4.5 oz) can diced mild green chiles
2 tbsp. brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. lemon juice

Here's what you do:

  • Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
  • In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients well but reserve a 1/4 c. of salsa.
 

  • Place mixture in an ungreased loaf pan and press in.
 
  • Bake for 50 minutes.  Remove and spoon the remaining 1/4 c. of salsa over the top.  Return to the oven and bake for another 20-30 minutes until the center reads 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
I love to serve this fiesta loaf with Paula Deen's recipe for Mexican rice, perhaps some tortilla chips and queso as an appetizer.  

Either way I am nearly CERTAIN you won't regret trying this recipe - such a fun twist on an old family favorite.  Ole!