Saturday, June 27, 2015

Topic's Cucumber Dip

Messy Messy Fail - I haven't planted a thing yet.  I've moved a few plants, dug some things up (to make way for the driveway/front porch) but no annuals and no new perennials.  Get on that, Katie, your garden looks like insane!

Tidy Victory - 6 quarts of fresh strawberries picked with a good friend, and it only took 2 hours (heavy on the sarcasm).  Not to mention the delish lunch we stumbled upon at a small New York style pizzeria.  My mouth is watering just typing about it.






In college, I was a sad, sad, SAD excuse for a cook.  There was the time I had to run upstairs to ask our male neighbors what a skillet was.  Or the time when I tried thawing frozen chicken breasts in our shower - I thought the constant spray of scalding hot water would do the trick.  Needless to say, my poor roommate Topic was always disappointed in my meals.  

She, on the other hand, made fabulous French toast, party bread (those are for another post) and her cucumber dip.  Cucumber dip is the easiest, most refreshing summer time dip EVER.  I have been given permission to share her recipe after I pulled it out for a recent Unified Arts (art, technology, health, etc.) department meeting party I attended.  Everyone liked it (unless they lied!) and I was reminded what a tasty and quick appetizer this was to have ready.

You need:

1 block of 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cucumber
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
Pinch of salt
Few drops of green food coloring (optional)
Crackers, chips or bagels chips for serving

What you do:

Peel and grate the cucumber into a colander lined with a layer or two of paper towels over a bowl to soak up the water.  



Let the excess water drain into bowl.  You can even use another paper towel layer to press some of the water out.  Feel free to let the cucumber drain for an hour.

In another bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, grated cucumber, one tablespoon of mayonnaise and a pinch of salt.  Mix until well blended.




Add a few drops of green food coloring (optional) to turn the dip into a refreshing shade of green.


Return to the refrigerator to set until ready to serve.  Serve with crackers, chips or bagel chips for dipping.

My personal favorite dipping item is a nice wavy potato chip.  Something about the cucumber with a salty chip is just lovely.



I think this would even be a refreshing change if spread on a toasted bagel, or a chic updated version of a tea sandwich spread on  bread.  



I highly recommend you add this to your summer entertaining recipes - you won't be sorry!

Thanks Topic for letting me share this, I hope I did your fabulous recipe justice! :)







Linking up with....


The Diary of a Real Housewife


































11 comments :

Jennie said...

Yum! Looks like a great recipe i'll have to try! Thanks so much for linking up with me on Friday Favorites!

Katie said...

Thanks, it really is, super quick and easy, too - thanks for the party! :)

Unknown said...

Looks yummy! I'm a fan of cucumbers!
Thanks!
Michelle

Katie said...

Thanks for stopping by Michelle, me too I actually have one in the fridge right now :)

Edye Nicole said...

This looks like a great summertime snack! Thanks for sharing :)

Blessings,
Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

You had me cracking up! I can see you thawing chicken in the shower....lol That's ok. I once cooked a pot roast with that silly plastic layer? Still underneath the pot roast and also cooked a turkey with all the gizzards and huts still in the but of the turkey. And I was in my 40's! LOL Your recipe look yummy!

Thanks so much for joining us each week at DI & DI, we love having you!

Katie said...

Hi Edye, it really is sooooo refreshing and not too heavy at all (even though it uses cream cheese!) Thanks for stopping by!

Katie said...

Hi Christine - I tell you the look on my roommates face when she saw that chicken.........see we all do silly things that we look back upon and laugh :) Happy to link up with you gals every week!

Katie said...

Hi Marilyn, ah you have such a way with words! I totally think of summer when I smell or eat cucumbers - love it! See you at Wonderful Wednesday and Favorite Things Thursday! :)

jayashree said...

looks good, thanks for sharing at Saucy Saturday !

The Lazy Gastronome said...

This dip sounds so refreshing. I need to try it - pinned! I'd be honored if you shared this post at our What's for Dinner party!
http://www.lazygastronome.com/whats-for-dinner-sunday-link-up-166/