Sunday, April 24, 2016

Crock Pot Hash Browns

Messy Messy Fail - So it's nearly the end of April, and it appears as though I have definitely acquired a solid case of poison ivy.  As I found out in high school, I am terribly allergic.  I was covered from nearly head to toe, doctor felt quite bad for me.  I thought April was too early for poison ivy?  

Tidy Victory - Gardens are all weeded and mulched.  Two yards of black mulch and one can of Preen later, we are ready for summer!  It has taken us a few years to fill these gardens in but our efforts had paid off.  It appears as if only one plant didn't make it through the winter (just a little silver mound I had planted underneath my ornamental crab apple tree), and I'll take that.  




I really love meal making to be as easy as possible.  To accomplish this, my go-to kitchen gadget is my crock pot.  

You put everything in, turn the crock pot on, and VOILA a delicious meal.

And I hardly did any work.  

It's a beautiful thing.

What's most beautiful is when you put it together at night before you go to bed.  When you wake up, breakfast is ready!

Who's going to have a problem with that?  Not this girl.

And now to be more specific, I'm talking crock pot hash browns.

Oh no, let's go! (Miss you Prince!)

Here's what you need:
  • 1 bag of frozen hash browns, I use shredded style
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium pepper, chopped
  • 2 c. of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 small can of evaporated milk
  • 8 oz. of sour cream
  • 2 tbsp. butter cut into small pieces (for dotting on top)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Here's what you do:
  • Pour and mix frozen hash browns, chopped onion and pepper, shredded cheese, evaporated milk and sour cream in a bowl.  Transfer to crock pot.

  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Dot the top of the mixture with the cut up pieces of butter.
  • Put lid on and cook on low for 8 hours or overnight.
  • Recipe yields 10 large servings.  Prep time 10 minutes.  Cook time 8 hours.

So quick and easy this is!  Now just to clarify, these are not crunchy crusty hash browns.  If you prefer them to be crispy, you could them take large spoonfulls of the cooked hash browns and fry them up in a pan with a little bit of cooking oil or butter.

However, we just eat them straight out of the crock pot.  

No extra work necessary for us.  

These would also be delicious with come scrambled eggs tucked into a soft tortilla for a delicious breakfast burrito.

This recipe makes at least 10 large servings, so it's perfect for feeding a large crowd or taking to a potluck brunch.

Or just enjoying on a lazy Sunday morning with your family.



Enjoy and happy brunching!