Sunday, March 1, 2015

How to Make Cheap Shower Spray

Messy Messy Fail - Did I ever mention how I wanted to be an astrophysicist if I hadn't gone into music education?  Yeah, I'm not joking.  
I cannot tell you how excited I was when I heard about asteroid 2004 BL86 making a sweet fly by.  I looked up the path and best times for viewing which I THOUGHT was on Monday and Tuesday night.  I couldn't go out Monday so I ran out into the sub-zero temperatures on Tuesday night to a nearby park to see if I could catch a glimpse.  Did I bring my smart phone to check the path?  No, of course not.  Spent about 45 minutes, half of which was spent defogging my binoculars, searching the sky aimlessly for what I can only described as a foggy looking star.  It was also slightly too bright at the park, so I hopped in the truck and moved to a road side stand parking lot down the hill where the man-made light would be much less, put my glasses on the seat of the truck and hopped out to find BL86.  Too cold, still too bright, got back in the truck, and CRUNCH.    I needed new glasses anyways.  And come to find out BL86 was only visible on Monday night.  Go figure.

Tidy Victory - I immediately made an appointment with Dr. Kara Gibbs at Southern Tier Optometry to get my eyes checked (I was squinting even with my glasses on) and purchase new frames.  Normally I would wait a few months in my laziness, but walking around squinting like a gremlin stinks.  Done!  Now I just need to actually purchase the frames......






Do you hate cleaning the shower like I do?  Seriously, it's my least favorite chore next to shoveling - I despise shoveling.  However, the shower must be cleaned (at some point).  It has been through my experience that I discovered an excellent way to help cut down on the grossness that can accumulate in your shower in between scrub downs - shower spray!  I used to purchase various inexpensive brands at Walmart and even the Dollar Store, and they worked fine.  But since having starting a family and trying to maintain a frugal (cheap!) budget, I've discovered a great recipe for making my own shower spray with products I always have around the house.


Check out these five important ingredients:

<One>  Spray bottle - you can be really frugal (cheap!) and recycle an old one or purchase a new bottle at the Dollar Store like I did (cute colors!).  

<Two> Vinegar - I always keep a big ole' bottle from Wegmans in my basement pantry.  This magical liquid can be used to clean in so many other ways, but that's for another post.

<Three> Water - straight out of the tap baby.

<Four> Dish Detergent - whatever you use to wash your dishes.

<Five> Liquid Fabric Softener - for your scent, so make sure it's one you like!

Now let's mix some shower cleaner!  In your spray bottle, mix the following:

  • 1 cup of vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons of dish detergent
  • 2 tablespoons of liquid fabric softener
  • water (enough to fill the rest of the spray bottle)
Put your spray bottle back together, give it a good shake and VOILA - cheap shower spray!  I always spray down the tub, faucet, handle, nooks and crannies in the shower, even the inside of the shower liner to help keep the mildew at bay.  


I hope you find this frugal (cheap!) shower cleaner recipe helpful, cheers to cleaning the shower!